Wednesday 2 September 2015

Reading 2015

I've done my first big UK festival. Reading 2015. And it was epic, it rocked and all other superlatives. 
I'll admit to being shit scared before we left. I'm not renowned for my camping skills. And I have cried over a public toilet in my past (Eltham train station). So a person could understand my trepidation. 
But it was brilliant. 
So much goes on that its impossible to see every little bit that you want. But you have to ride with that. And suck it up a bit that not everyone wants to see what you do and majority wins out. 
Yes, I am proud of me. I displayed zero "only child" attributes. I looked at the campsite toilets, gagged a little and then gave myself a pep talk and dived right it. Well no, to dive into those toilets (basic word for cesspool), would be stupid, suicidal and silly. Actually, I used skills, I went to the one the cleaners hung out by. It was always awash with the blue stuff they used. 
The camping side was actually fantastic....I must have had some dire experiences before to have dreaded it. Or maybe I just went with the right bear. Who made it all really enjoyable. Who set up the tent inside so that we were snug as bugs. I also realised that sending CG to scouts was a big plus. Money well worth spent as he was so gung-ho with the carrying of heavies and putting up of tents. Brilliant stuff. 
And then the music. Awesome. Words almost can't do it justice. The buzz and electricity of live music, in a field. To dance like no one was watching, to jump like a kangaroo to tunes you've never heard of. Be stunned by new bands and be inspired by ones you've loved for a while. To indulge and laugh with people you adore. 
Yes this as my first UK festival was an epic induction. I want to go again, I want to go yesterday!! Tomorrow! 
I almost can't believe I saw Metallica. If you had told me as a 14 year old that I would, I would have said "nooit man, there's no way". It's just that they're such an huge band....some little hip hop fan might say they are too polished, but I'd say they were bear perfect. 
Bucket list has been ticked off. 
I do love the vibe of a festival - this being only my second one. The bonhomie of strangers, the dancing in a field, wearing floaty stuff and feeling so good about life in general. It's like most of the rules we live by in "normal" land just disappear for a few days. Almost anything goes. Talking shit by a fire, queuing for fresh water, sleeping in a bag. It's primal but it's fabulous! 
Things I will remember forever 
* Finding the perfect campsite. 
* Listening to teenagers and giggling with TB about it 
* That bowl of fruit from Starbucks which was so juicy and real. 
* Standing with TB behind me during Mumford and friends and dancing slowly
* sunrises and sunsets 
* so much more. 
* lying in the tent, hearing the world outside and just 'being' 
* the music - the 'live'ness

Reading2015 you rocked my funky socks off. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...