Sunday 6 September 2015

A pointless blog

I was reading some arb tripe about 'Your South African Girl'... or something like that. It was a little wishy washy and while it had some good points like always wanting to be barefoot, it wasn't me...

Anyway, it got me to think. How am I different to the girls I see around me? Am I a South African girl? And I think I am. I think the years I grew up there have made me a different breed.

I do like to be barefoot as much as possible - or in flip flops. I don't know how to do make up and hair in a 'girl' fashion - I actually wish I did know this bit. But make up was never very important growing up. When I became a teenager, I was all about the beach or swimming pool so hair was something that needed to 'wash 'n go' - as long as you knew how to do a plait, you were sorted. Eyeliner and mascara and lip gloss was the most you wore in make up. Oh I know I was the exception - all my friends wore foundation but with freckles, it was a pointless exercise so I didn't bother.

Nope, I was all about a pair of board shorts, a tee, some sandals and a perm that bounced back, lip gloss and a towel. I was ready to go. And that's not changed. Yes, I LOVE sparkle, I love a new dress, I like dressing up. I'm a girl for'shore but I'm also not fussed too much.

So in a way, this South African girl is able to converse well with others, hold down a sporty conversation, be ready in ten minutes (if I know what I'm wearing), rough it but be girly as well.

I think that does make me different to those I see around me. I like being a little different. But it does make me a tad frustrated. If you're cold, put on a jumper... who gives a shit if it doesn't go with your outfit - unless you're going out/out and then of course co-ordinate your stuff.

I like that I'm relaxed about the small stuff but passionate about the things that are important. Hmmmm and as I'm reading this back, I'm thinking I'm a contradiction.

As a SA 'chick', I think you have to be all those things... able to watch/talk about sport, be able to do a braai and yet be a girl too. SA girls are chameleons?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...