Wednesday 10 September 2014

RIP

Rest in Peace Gavin,

So today I learnt of a school friend of mine's passing. Ah no he wasn't a school friend - he was a gentleman amongst loutish boys.

I first met Gavin at The Break. It was a place by school which had pool tables. I went to an all-girls school, it was where we met up with the boys. A great place for a sneaky cigarette and to see actual male folk. It was my version of Heaven really (at that time - I'd add chocolate to the mix now).

Anyway, the first couple of times, Gav was just a bloke who came with Peter and was cute. One day I was dumped publicly at The Break. It was the first time Gav spoke to me 'I'll punch that doos for you' he said. As I said: a gentleman. He didn't punch anyone but he did get punched himself for sticking up for me. Things like that you just don't forget. But I didn't see him that way because he was a nice guy and at age 15, nice guys don't get the girls really.

Fast forward about 8 months of teenage life. I went to England for 8 weeks (or 100 years depending on who you talk to) and on my first weekend back, we had the Constantia Carnival. It was good, there was much fun and Gavin asked me out.

And you know, he was a gentleman, he's the kind of guy you wished your daughter would go out with. I was just shy of 16, so it wasn't an heavy affair but it was typical schoolgirl stuff.

He was the first boy to send me a Valentines card that wasn't my dad. In truth, he was the first boy who made it special. Of course I was embarrassed - I still must be the only girl who cringes at the thought of someone buying me stuff. Secretly chuffed to bits but embarrassed. He got his sister who was a few years younger to present me with a gift before school, and then at every break. Roses, teddies and cards. We used to swap cards with the boys school - he sent 10 and 5 roses. He took me out for dinner.

And then I broke his heart and he didn't talk to me for months. Eventually, when I was leaving Cape Town, I asked if he would talk to me again and he did, he forgave me my behaviour. Did I mention he was that nice guy?

We've kept in contact sporadically, through the years and then as people do: Facebook. Always knew he'd do well - marriage, children etc.

It's a shock. My heart breaks for his wife and children and the rest of his family.

R I P Gavin....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...