Thursday 18 September 2014

My brother

When i was little and growing up, all I wanted was an older brother. 
When I was eight, I got one. From England. All long legs and blonde hair. Rangy I guess would be an apt description. Tons older than me but he was exactly what I ordered. He play fought, he threw me in the air, he dangled me from goalposts - not an euphuism, he actually did that. A lot. And he took the Mickey out of me incessantly.  He took my side. As I said, everything I ordered. He had demons, but never took them out on me. 

When I came overseas. Again, he reverted to big brother mode. I loved it. He called me little sis. Hell, I loved being an only child of my parents. But I also loved having half siblings. 

Today my big brother died. And I am in disbelief. I only saw him 6 weeks ago, he promised me fresh strawberries from his allotment. He's gone now. He's never going to call me his little sister again. 

Yes, he had troubles and I don't think I could have changed them. Could I have been a better sister? Possibly. Would he have accepted any help? Possibly not. 

My heart breaks for my dad, Peter's mother. No one should bury a child, no matter the age. 

RIP Peter, my big brother. 

Xx


1 comment:

  1. such sad news......makes you realise you cant waste one day or one opportunity

    ReplyDelete

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...