Sunday 10 August 2014

A time to remember

Argh, I hope I'm not going to be all remembery and so on this month. But I think I'll give myself this one.

A year ago...

A year ago, I drove The Muppet from Melkbos to LBW. A year ago, I sat in a car on my way to LBW and cried and laughed and spoke a LOT to myself (see previous blog). I also saw people I NEEDED to see. I drove in a car with LBW - something not done since age 17 and yet, I was still under the influence - conclusive proof that time changes not a sausage!

I did cartwheels on a beach where so many memories had been made. I said au revoir to my Nhands. I wrote a speech and finally said it without crying. She came to us on a wave and made us all laugh.

In truth, I can write so much about that day, how it meant so much to me. But more than that, how a group of women joined by shared experiences but for the most part, joined by Nhandi alone, came together to remember her in such a special way that had Nhandi written all over it. She loved her family and adored her friends and there we were, in an incredibly special place remembering her in just the right way. In a way she would have totally approved of.

And I do think she would have approved of the whole day. I would rather she had been there.

When the tears become too much and I'm racked with sobs and that sense of loss, I really do think of that day a year ago, and it calms me in a way I can't explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...