Monday 23 June 2014

Ouches!

I lived in Africa for half my life (as it stands now). I know full well the damage the sun can do. It was drummed into us at school - stupid sun hats anyone? - And I guess they weren't stupid, they were just stupid looking. Factor 50 was an essential part of my routine - also an aversion to freckles helped. I mean, it didn't stop us slathering baby oil onto our skins when adults weren't looking and baking ourselves to the equivalent of a really fried chip but hay... the price you pay for an awesome tan. Being of a very fair complexion - the Irish and Scottish back genes will give you that - I  probably paid a high price in heat stroke and the like. Also peeling, I had a permanently peeling nose - the kind surfers have -also a lot of shoulder peeling.

And yet yesterday, I sat myself in the sun for a few hours - not with the sole purpose of burning but to enjoy, nay...to bask in the delight of a summer's day. To really enjoy the heat penetrating my bones and warming me up inside out. Today, I look like a stripy tomato. I say stripy because as I wasn't consciously tanning, I hadn't positioned myself in the right way. *rolleyes*

Anyway, today I hurt, really hurt. I have the dehydration headache from hell - never mind the litres of water I've ingested, I've got plenty sore bits.

But although I'm on the verge of incredible self pity, I shall not indulge purely - because it's self inflicted. I'm old enough to know better, I'm 'African' enough to REALLY know better. ;)

In other news - SO enjoying this World Cup - I've seen a bit of every game, I'm loving the anthems, I'm just really liking it.

Also adding to Laws - shops should stay open 24/7 so that healthy meals can be enjoyed and consumed by bears that find themselves hungry after hitting balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...