Sunday 9 June 2013

Oyster!!

I have a dilemma.... of sorts.

I'm allergic to oysters, yet I love them. I'm aware many people don't.
I had my first oyster at age 16 (I don't think I had one before). It was in Knsyna which is in South Africa. I remember thinking, I do not think I shall like this. Yet I did. I flipping loved them. And so I added another food to my list that the majority of people turn their noses up at.

Fast forward to Hastings about 8 years ago.... had an oyster or three with mom and bleurgh, I was violently ill. But I didn't believe it could be the oysters...didn't the Oyster and I have a beautiful relationship? Why would it then render me incapable of walking upright and begging anyone to kill me just to escape the gut-wrenching, clenching pain I felt myself in. My bathroom and I never left each other's side for 24 hours. I was as weak as a puppy but I blamed it on something else. About 6 months later, I had more oysters and boom! it was time to admit those little suckers were to blame. This time I'm not even prepared to admit that I didn't make it to the bathroom. I was ill.

And I've shyed away from them ever since.

BUT

In two months time, I shall be back in Knysna - the home of the Oyster (well the South African one) and I can almost taste their sweet flavour. My dilemma is this: should I try an English one and see how it likes me - I could very well have grown out of the allergic-ness. Or do I wait for the African breed and see if that likes me more - quite possibly screwing up a day of my holiday?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...