Thursday 18 October 2012

Uncle Peter

I'm going to have people thinking I'm a morbid old thing. But honestly, no I'm not. I'm just in a moment of remembering people.
My dad told me today it has been 10 years since Uncle Peter passed on. I can barely believe it's been a decade. I was then flicking through Facebook and I've come across a post his grandson has made (Uncle Peter's) and I laughed so much I cried. And I'm so glad no one escaped the 'farting finger' trick.
Now I say Uncle Peter - he was my dad's best friend. Not blood relation but they always referred to each other as brothers. Quick confession: when I was tiny, I did wonder why my dad had two brothers called Peter..
Uncle Peter was the funniest man alive - besides my dad, and when you got the two of them together, nothing was sacred or safe. I am of the belief half my wrinkles and creases on my face are from laughing with them.
And spin a story?! They could have you believing the sky was pink with blue clouds and the moon was an elephant. (see blog called Exploding heads for reference)

The tricks they pulled on myself, H, K and S were legendary and my childhood is littered with antidotes.

What do I remember of Uncle Peter besides the obvious. Him teaching me how to run an excellent 3 legged race, him and my dad doing all my lines with me when I was in a play. Until I was sick of the damned play, but still they carried on until I knew every line. Reading Winnie the Pooh out loud - although I'm sure he knew it off by heart as well as Jabberwocky. Dancing on the dining room table with my mom while shooting tequila's and Baileys and proclaiming "Make me another! It's like ICE CREAM!"

I'm giggling like a loon typing this up and I keep stopping while remembering and then wiping a sneaky tear from my eye.

Uncle Peter - 10 years but still so dearly missed and loved.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...