Thursday 15 December 2011

Boxes of boys

For the last three years we've had the lovely army boys from somewhere in Wiltshire come to our building and serve us Christmas dinner. This year, has to be the most fun I've had. The other two years were great, but this year the boys were brilliantly good fun. Up for a laugh.

Now you see I'm one of these people that love a bit of change, a break from routine. So when the lady who organises it all asked me if I'd like to do the trolleys again, I said 'of course'. She's a lovely woman, who makes me macaroni and cheese every Friday. Even if it had been trolleys with the Chelsea Pensioners, I would have jumped at it. It's away from my desk, it's helping her and it's for a fantastic charity: Help for Heroes. Okay, so we didn't get retired old men but quite lovely looking boys, but there were girls too and they were pretty cool.

And I'm going to smile with the soldiers, I'm going to have a laugh with them. For one, it raises more money if you're all jokey and stuff and two, why on earth would I want to walk around with a scowl on my face? It doesn't mean that I plan to 'cop' off with every single one of them. I BET none of the other ladies got the grief I did - purely because they are the wrong side of 60. But yes, I got huge amounts of snide comments and people assuming I was 'pullling' a soldier. With all due respect, would I advertise it?

So yes, I didn't go all girly and shrieky and refuse to talk with them. No, I laughed, I joked, I smiled and made friends. What is life if you don't sieze the moment to make new friends? I love finding people, and getting to know them.
And I got a box of boys or three. And I think they loved it!

1 comment:

  1. I would have been most dissapointed in you if you hadn't laughed smiled and flirted a little. Life is too serious at the best of times and if you can't have a bit of fun at Christmas when can you? xxx

    ReplyDelete

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...