Thursday 3 June 2021

Where we were

 It's hard not to think where I was two years ago. I think when I've had a year that's not done a lot, it's easy to go 'right two years ago...' 

And two years ago, Suzy and I finished our road trip along the Garden Route, it was such an amazing day. Started with the most stunning sun rise - I don't think I've ever seen one like it before or since - it was just magical. We meandered and speeded, went off the beaten track, had a proper SA breakfast complete with boerewors, drove through the burning of much weed. The last time I had driven that route, Connor and I had a near death experience, so it was good to face that fear and shriek with the exhilaration of nothing happening. 

Suzy and I sang badly and laughed loudly and put the world to rights. I so loved showing off 'my' country to one of my bests. And we were ill, we were not very healthy at all - and that had nothing to do with the amount of wine we had consumed. Yet we laughed so much and I think had this unspoken agreement that nothing (not even stomach flu) was getting in the way. 

One of my best memories came from the day before when we were amusing ourselves and feeling very smug that all our ducks were in a row for our trip ahead. All of a sudden I realised it was Sunday and South Africa operates differently to the selling of wine/booze on a Sunday. Cue much shrieking and diving into the nearest supermarket/bottle store we could find. We bought the BIGGEST bottle of wine I have ever seen. 

Around this time two years ago, we made it to Cape Town and the mountain was showing off, we saw a divine sunset and decided our booked accommodation was shite. It had to be the worst advert ever. It boasted a view of the mountain and the sea. Once there we realised that the balcony was two planks of wood and the view was about two centimetres if you craned your neck around a corner. Thankfully, booking.com had an opening at a fabulous place which was perfect for us. 

This day two years ago, I cried with laughter. I so wish Suzy and I get to do that again, road trip and laugh along the Garden Route (with Sarah). So much has changed since that day. I do believe that if we knew then what we know now, we'd have meandered a bit more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...