Sunday 6 December 2015

Laugh. Cry. Emote.

There once was a little girl who laughed when her best friend fell out of a tree and broke her arm. It wasn't a nasty laugh. They had been laughing before. It could be called hysterical - borne out of fear. 
That little girl grew up and some years later broke her own hand and arm and laughed and cried all the way to casualty. That girl laughed so hard on the eve of her nana's funeral that it was hard to distinguish if the tears falling were from mirth or sorrow. 
And today, when our country is on a high state of terror alert. When we aren't safe having a coffee, listening to live music, catching a tube, that girl laughed when she saw a terror suspect tasered. 
And it's not because she doesn't understand the berivity of the situation.oh she really does. Having seen police with guns on the street while growing up, she appreciates the fear of it all. 
I believe it's a coping mechanism. Being able to mock the people who scare me is a human trait. Je suis Charlie proved that mocking also gets you killed. Tricky then when you laugh as your best friend falls from a tree. 
To laugh means that my brain doesn't want to cry. It's a character flaw I'm happy having. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...