Tuesday 29 September 2015

Blasting the past

Chris found some old pictures and put them up on lè facebookè. I clicked on the link and immediately did a big fat chuckle. And the more I looked at the pictures, the more I laughed and the more I gasped and remembered. I'm wearing pink Lycra cycling shorts...who wouldn't laugh, it's horrific - no one in the world has ever looked good in pink cycling shorts. Oh the shame! 

To look at the photo, you'd think aah a bunch of good looking teenagers, all tanned and full of summer, having a super time, laughing so hard you can see their molars. And yes we were. But you see, I'm blessed by the memory of ten large elephants and I remember that day so well. You can see I'm the one slightly awkward....I am smiling but I'm not in hysterics like everyone else. LBW is glowing, and rightly so. Nhandi is manic...for other reasons. 
And it's strange because in all the other pictures I'm not so "awkward". I was so intent on not being shy....tried to hide it (still do) so much, that it's only in these two pics can you see it. And I remember not enjoying that moment that much but keen to not let on. I think I knew I'd be in shit with my parents...I was always in their bad books around that time. 

Adam has just commented that he wishes we could go back for one day. I know what he means...we are so fresh, so alive, so untouched by life. But then it hit me, to go back for one day would mean a day with Nhandi. I wouldn't go back to that day though.... I'd choose another. Same period of time, just a different day, maybe that one at Clovelly when Nhandi accidentally flashed everyone. That was a good day. Or when I chipped my tooth on a bottle of cinzano. That was a funny night. So fortunate to have had those girls in my life. Liz, who still tries to fight my corner, who hates everyone who has ever wronged me....just as she did age 14. Who hasn't changed one little bit, still bloody naughty and stupidly fun to be with. Nhandi who, well we know what Nhandi was to me. Is to me. 

And now I feel the ache of her not being able to whatsapp with Liz and me (like we've done today) about how funny and how "rop" we thought we were. And those pink shorts. I guess one could excuse them - if you didn't know I had a pair in green and also black and some with stripes. I wasn't even a keen cyclist. And clearly not a follower of fashion either 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...