Tuesday 12 August 2014

The Language I Love


  • "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society (1989)
I'm reminded of this movie on the day that news breaks that Robin Williams has died. Now, I know he wasn't John Keating, it was only a part he played. And maybe he didn't write the line either but wow! it's one line from a movie that captured me. *along with 'nobody puts Baby in a corner' naturally.

But as I come to write this blog, I realise it wasn't about the movie (I can't really remember the movie), it was about a teacher I had, who did what John Keating did. She inspired, she reached into your heart and pulled out the emotion, the talent, the expectation that you could be great/special/wonderful. She made you believe in yourself. She also wanted you to do well....sounds like an obvious characteristic a teacher should have. But they don't always.

Mrs S did and judging by the love seen on Fbook, she still does.

Back to Dead Poets Society: Mrs S let us jump off her desk.

  • "We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society (1989)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...