Monday 23 January 2012

Attack of the grumps

It must be because it's January?

Everyone says that at least once in this month. They blame a month for all sorts of things... oh yes because it's January.

But it works, everyone nods their collective heads and says very sagely 'ah yes, it's January'. As if this month, this poor defenceless month, can be blamed for our wallets being empty, our clothes not fitting and our tempers fraying.

When in actual fact, it's all our own fault. Our wallets are empty because we overspent at Christmas (an easy thing to do), our clothes don't fit because we ate FAR too much and the exercise plan went skids up. And our tempers are fraying because of the prior sentence. The monthists among us will surely cry, 'I always knew December had a hand in this'.  However, it's not fair to blame our woes on a month. You have to question if it's ever fair to blame anything on something when your hand has influenced the very woe you're grumping over.

And I'm not without blame here. I dread February in the Northern Hemisphere. It's the coldest month and it's the month where I'm generally broke. But I think this year, this year, I'll be different.

All through 2011, I was thinking about how change is something that cries out to be taken notice of. 2012, I would like to think I would do it. This last weekend, I've been almost shouted at by the Universe. I can hear it banging at my head. The trouble being, if I do all the things that I'm thinking I should, I don't think I'm going to be very much liked. I said that I wanted 2012 to be about me saying NO to bad behaviour and people making poor excuses for their bad behaviour. And for the most part of this month, that's exactly what I've done. But there are one or two people who I routinely excuse. And it's not fair really on the people I don't excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...