Monday 23 December 2019

do you remember?

In 200 days time, I shall see two bands in what is a dream line up for me. And ticks many buckets off the list.
Now I’ve seen Pearl Jam before, but this time they come with The Pixies. That 16 year old me, of years passed, would be having a veritable shit fit - maybe that should go into #lettertomyyoungerself “hey Ali, I know it’s only 1990, but in 2020 you’ll see The Pixies”. 
Ha! A 30 year wait. Poor thing. 
Anyway, I need to thank the person who gifted me them and Doolittle. He was a boy from SACS called Matthew. I remember my first hearing of Doolittle and it was like nothing I’d heard before. Nothing. We were in a little house in Harfield Village. And I think it was the first album that just made me want to get up and wave myself back and forth. We then listened to it non-stop. It was a tape of a tape so quality was crap but still we played it constantly. I moved to PE without a copy to call my own, just some songs I had got off Barney Simons radio show. Then a guy at my new school (Grant), coped me a copy. Again quality was rubbish but I loved it. I believe it was the album that got me into that genre. And when I could go clubbing, I was able to just completely lose myself on the dance floor to ‘where is my mind’. Oh those nights at the Baron were the best. 
Pearl Jam came a bit later. We were at a house party, Steven had got a copy of this new album “Ten”. I was sitting on the floor by the tape deck and I was mesmerised by Alive etc. The music went straight through me. Steven gave me Pearl Jam. What a gift. And I’ve just realised I’ve seen them live with him every time. That’s so cool. 
Such huge influences on my ear, my music and me. 
Both albums I can listen to without skipping a song. Both albums in my Top 10 all time. 
Thank you Matt Matt Matty and Stevo. 🎼 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...