Sunday 9 September 2012

Twenty-twelve

I consider myself both British and South African - I flick between the two quite easily depending on my mood at the time (and how homesick I am for smarties and my family and friends). I feel I am South African because I was born there and lived there for the first 20 years of my life. I feel I am British, as my dad is, and as it's the only passport I've ever held and I've lived in England for 18 years of my life. And when I lived in South Africa, I considered myself the same. 

I have LOVED cheering on the South Africans in the Olympics and Paralympics and I have... with great gusto and emotion (also for Team GB). However, this 'summer' I have adored being British for the way this country (not just London) have put on these games. From the Olympic torch relay to tonight's closing ceremony - it's being pretty damn fantastic. I doubt I'll see it again in my 'home' country - so I'm really sad to see it go.

I come away with memories - memories of trying sooooo flipping hard to get tickets and failing every time. But going up to London to see the men's Triathlon with the CG was a day that will sit in my memory bank for as long as my brain lets it. The crowds, the athletes, the vibe, the emptiness of Oxford Street - it created such an atmosphere that will be hard to replicate. 

And then there's the Torch Relay that came prior to the Olympics. The town I live in, is at the arse end of society. It tries so bloody hard but is let down by some shoddy things - namely London prices on non-London etc wages. However, on Torch Relay days (we had two), we really did come together as a town and put on such a grand display and sense of unity. (gosh, I am rather gushy tonight!) It was also the week we regained the world record for the most pirates and the Red Arrows came for a fly.... all in all - a week Hastings should be damn well proud of. It's amusing, I think of Hastings as a stroppy teenager, it really can't be arsed most of the time, is a little sulky and petulant. However, when it's not in front of 'family' - it behaves really well, dresses up with a smile on it's face. 

Anyway, thank you England for a fabulous 'nearly-summer' twenty-twelve. I truly doubt I'll ever be a part of such a thing again (don't see immigration to Rio in my future). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...