Tuesday 3 May 2011

I love Cougar Town (tv programme) and in the episode I watched tonight, Jules says to Grayson 'I just wish you were a little bit different with me than you are with everyone else'. And quite often sentences like that just throw themselves at me. Is that what women want? I think it is. When we are with a lover, we want to see a part of them that their friends don't see, we want to them to be a little softer, a little funnier and a little more 'them' with us. We want to bring something out in them, that no one has ever does.
I remember meeting an ex of a boyfriend and she remarked on what she conceived was a character flaw of him. I remember smiling to myself inside thinking that's not how he is with me. And of course he wasn't, her and I were completely different. And no matter how true you think you are with yourself, you act differently with certain people. Well I do. I like to think I'm adapting to their personality... but maybe I'm just chameleon like? . For instance, some people might think of me as the idiot, others might think of me as entertaining. Different takes on the same flaw? Some people might think I'm funny, amusing, hysterical. Others see that as annoying. It's like the shy girl being mistaken as stuck up ---yes I've had that label too. Actually, I think that's the one that annoys me the most. Once you get to know me, I won't shut up. And when I'm nervous or terribly excited about an event, nothing short of a gag will silence me. But those first few minutes - I'm as shy as a  very shy thing. I blush like a ripe old tomato and I beam like a sunbeam.
And I watch Cougar Town and think yes, maybe I am a lot like Jules, but then I think she's a lot like a lot of ladies I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel sick

 There we go, I forgot what this felt like.  See I don't do holidays - not really. I've done a few but it's not really what I do...